Saturday, September 17, 2011

Rebecca's Musings

     I've said time and time again that my connections to the GLBT movement run to my emotional core.  My friends and future in-laws are in committed relationships, but share few of the rights my boyfriend Bahamute and I posses. I've read one book that has given me hope, but also terrified me about the rights they lack, and what they have, and will, suffer in their lives.
     I feel I am not doing enough.  I can't afford to contribute monetarily (fresh outta college, and job-hunting). My support is, as of this moment, wearing a silly tee-shirt, reading books, signing online petitions, and speaking out to coworkers about the issues. I try to support my friends who are GLBT in any way that I can.
    Can I really change anything? I'm only one person.  I want to help on a local and global scale. I want to make it safe for my friends and loved ones to live and love.
    I know I can't do these things by myself.  I must be part of a bigger movement.  I'm not even GLBT: What can my support really add to the movement?
    I don't know.  But I won't stop trying.  If my silly shirt and provocative talks don't get a response, I'll find something else that will.  I'll keep trying.
     I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment