Sunday, November 13, 2011

Transgender Teen Found Burned to Death on Detroit Highway

The sixth GLBT person to be burned alive in as many weeks was found, I'm incredibly ashamed and saddened to say, in my home state, close to where I live and work.  Shelley 'Treasure' Hilliard, born Henry Hilliard jr. was found, burned and discarded on the side of a busy highway. She was only 19 years old. 

Brandon Washington and David Blair doused a sleeping gay 'Friend' with alcohol and set him on fireSteven Iorio, the 'Friend' in question, survived, but as of now, the two have not been arrested.  They will be getting a summons in the mail, though

Stuart Walker, a gay man in Scotland, was burned to death and left on the side of the road. Before he was burned, he was beaten, and possibly sodomized. He was 28 years old, and a barman.  More than 1000 people came to his funeral to morn the loss.  This man was loved. Ryan Esquierdo, 18, has been charged with Stuart's murder.  

Two more men were set on fire AT A GAY BAR in England. Both men survived, but police don't think it's a hate crime. 

What the hell is happening in the world?!  I am TERRIFIED for my GLBT friends now more than ever.  We're supposed to be moving forwards. DADT is gone!  NY legalized gay marriage!  Movements are mobilizing all over the country to give GLBT citizens the rights they deserve.


I've heard it said that burning is becoming the GLBT equivalent of lynching.  I pray to God this trend stops immediately.  Please, if you know anyone who is homophobic, talk to them.  The hate needs to end.


Right now, all I want to do is go hug my future brother-in-law and his boyfriend, both of whom are close friends, and family no matter what the laws in Michigan say.




I got most of my information from http://unicornbooty.com/, by the way. Great site.

No comments:

Post a Comment